Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Don't Fight an Idiot

I love reading Seth's Blog. It really doesn't have much to do with my industry, education, training, or career, but it is still a very good read. His comments are full of so much common sense, do I dare say pragmatism, that I sometimes schmack myself in the forehead and say "Duh." I know I'm not the only one. His posts often remind me of Bill Engvall's stand up comedy routing "Here's your sign." (Bill even has a blog.)

We've all had a sign handed to us. We've all said things that are readily apparent and after the words leave our mouth wonder why we wasted the breath. But every now and then, someone bothers to challenge your idiocy. For those moments, remember this advice given to me long ago.

Don't fight an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

2 comments:

  1. Scott, the best definition ever of "stupid" or "idiot" is provided by Carlo Cipolla in the essay "The basic laws of Human Stupidity". Carlo Cipolla, who passed away a few years ago, was professor of Economics at UC Berkeley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link. It is going to make its rounds to a few choice coworkers.

    And I should clarify, after having been corrected. The actual quote is
    "Don't argue with an idiot..." instead of "fight."

    ReplyDelete