Thursday, October 22, 2009

Rendering History or Industrial Archeology

Oh to have more hours in a day. The Vought F4U Corsair is my favorite airplane of all time, hands down, bar none, not even the Phenom 300 (which I use an image of as a avatar on some websites). If I had money, I'd own one of these, even if I had to dredge one up from the bottom of the Pacific and restore it (with all due respects to the pilot and family of the pilot of the downed aircraft). But I don't. As a matter of fact, I don't even have the resources (mainly workshop & storage space) to go into RC model flying and create a scale model of one of these gorgeous warbirds. So what do I do? I envy the man I learned about when reading the same article I learned about Kinetic Steam Works discussed in my prior post.

William Gould of Gould Studios uses Solidworks (and Hypershot from Bunkspeed) to recreate history.

From the article, Gould is a design consultant on medical devices, consumer products, and test fixtures. In his spare time, he uses his CAD proficiency as an industrial archeologist to recreate engineered objects from times past. He is even a member of the Society of Industrial Archaeology, which up until reading this article I never even knew existed. He does this by finding old blueprints and recreating them in 3D. Oh what I wouldn't give to find the original Vought prints for the Corsair.

Not only are the subjects of Gould's work visually stunning even to the non-engineer, so are his virtual recreations. So much so, that Gould has created an online virtual museum to warehouse his archeological finds.

I can't tell you how many times I wish I made the time to recreate history the same way Gould is. My kudos goes to him for taking this to such a great level. I also look forward to researching the SIA and perhaps joining. Maybe they can help me recreate the majestic Corsair.